Sunday, September 30, 2007

Random Blog

Yes, this is a random blog...i have been blogging for the past hour and a half, should be packing for BJ tomorrow, but am not...I have had these pictures for awhile, but keep forgetting to blog it.

Rachel had been sick over the weekend and stayed home on Monday from school (a couple of weeks back) and I had totally forgotten that Tuesday was her day to take snack to school . . . worse yet, the teacher had called me the week before and specifically asked me to make pancakes for snack to go along with a lesson they were having...no prob, love to make pancakes! Well, forgot until 2 minutes before the bus arrived...PANIC! Ok, I can make them and taxi them out there to the school in time for snack . . . oh, crud. No eggs. Jerry, please run down to the veggie market and get some eggs...OK, no prob. (while he was gone I called the teacher, she had already asked someone else to make them knowing that Ra had been sick and I may forget...what a wise wise woman) so Jerry comes home with THESE eggs...white eggs? (maybe normal in the states, but here, no way. I only see brown eggs...EVER!) with black little specks? What the heck? so i sit them on the counter and don't think about them again. UNTIL . . . our helper comes...she coments "oh, you bought blah blah blah eggs" (the blahs are words i don't understand and thus, they are BLAH BLAH BLAH to me) "oh yeah" I reply, "I needed eggs this AM to make some cakes, Jerry ran to the market and this is all he could find...they look strange to me" Hmm...

She takes the eggs to the sink, cracks one and begins to peel it. Uggh. It's the 1,000 year eggs! I have seen them served at meals, for sale in the market (peeled) and being eaten as a snack by many a chinese person on the street . . . but never had I seen them in their shell. Oh, wouldn't that have been something if I had tried to start making PANCAKES with these babies!

Crazy Foreigners!





Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I envy your lovely, obsidian egg. Terrible for pancakes, but they sure are tasty in a...hm. How is it called in English? I guess it's like a frittata only it's steamed, not pan fried. :)

Daniel said...

Dear LW & Fam - Loved getting caught up on your blog tonight. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Sweet Rachel! You are our mostest favoritist (number ONE even) Four Year Old Rachel in the WHOLE WORLD! And we LOVE your new haircut. Very chic, very "I'm so not three anymore". We can't wait to see you at Thanksgiving! LOVE, LOVE, DOUBLE LOVE! The Kennedys in Tianjin