Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Who'd have thunk it?

Well, folks . . . the GC may not be fulfilled, but I sure think that my parents wildest dreams (or could it be nightmares?) have been! My parents joined us in this wonderful country we live in on October 2 in Beijing. After almost 25 hours of travel, a huge chunck of which had my father doubled up, sucked in , squished and TENSE (while my mom slept peacfully because she took my great advise of drugging herself on the long flight) they arrived in fine shape at the Beijing Internation Airport! They quite possibly win the prize for "over all best jet-laggers in the world" . . . they arrived in the evening and slept about 8 hours that night, the following night they BOTH slept 12 hours straight, had a nap the next day and then a good 9 - 10 hours the next night! SWEET! No middle of the night wake-ups not knowing what to do with themselves, no falling asleep in the middle of the acrobat show or their dinners . . . they are champs with jet lag! In all honesty, they have pretty much been champs all the way around! No one volunteered for the suggested dinner of scorpion on a stick and candied hawthorn for dessert, but they have braved some of the most daring taxi drivers we have encountered during our time in China, they have crossed one of the busiest streets in Shenyang (which goes without saying is like crossing the interstate on foot during rush hour where my parents come from!) and to top it off, several days after Jerry and I head to Chinese class, they have ventured out of the house and taken a little walk to our friendly neighborhood Carrefour (like Wal-mart) and done some shopping!

I asked my mom one night if she ever thought she would find herself in China . . . her response? Well, no, I guess not . . . I've thought there might be some places in the world I might like to see if they weren't so far from home (hmmm....where is it I get that home-body gene?) but I'm pretty sure China wasn't one of them!

Never underestimate the power of grandchildren!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi friends! Just catching up on your blog...SIGH...love all the pics and hearing the adventures. Think of you often. Miss you all!

Love, elaine

Anonymous said...

Ok... there may be power in grandkids, but I think the daughter had a little pull on the heart strings as well. Glad you are having a good time together and getting to spend some much needed time together! Miss you guys.
~SIS~