Tuesday, May 06, 2008

A hobby for mommy . . .

Ok, so . . . I've decided that I need a hobby. Not that sweeping gads of dust from the construction site right outside our back door twice daily from our faux wood floors isn't exciting enough, but I've found myself lacking GOALS (well, attainable goals . . . the dust just will not go away!)

I used to love to go to the scrapbook store, what was that called? Some last name or something . . . anyway, I loved to go there for a day and scrap away, and coming home with so much accomplished . . . GREAT feeling. It was so therapeutic for me, and if I needed a therapeutic hobby in Decatur, IL . . . then I would say it'd be a good idea to have one here too. . . but I don't.

Scraping here is just too much drama. I have all my stuff, but I can't get more if I run out, so I don't even want to start a project . . . I've tried figuring out the digital scrapbook thing, but so far, have had no luck with being patient enough to learn photoshop and then all that other stuff that goes into it . . . so I have decided that I will start with learning more about photography with a really cool website that has like 11 lessons for beginners and then maybe I will be motivated enough to really learn the photoshop stuff.

There are assignments at the end of each lesson . . . my first one was "take really close up pictures of something around the house" . . . here's what I came up with. . . it made us laugh.






Well, at least it is keeping my mind occupied and is giving me some attainable goals amongst the harried pace of life . . . and it's good for laugh . . . bonus!

5 comments:

Abigail said...

those are really the coolest pictures of q-tips that i have ever seen

Abigail said...

those are really the coolest pictures of q-tips that i have ever seen

Anonymous said...

WOW... between your ideas and your oldest brother's not sure which of you have the most creative thought processes.... should have him share some of his online photo stuff... guess we all have some pretty creative thoughts in our heads... just scary sometimes how they get displayed! :)

Nicole J said...

Hi Lawanda, Just thought I'd say Hi and thanks for posting a blog about living in China. My DH is interviewing for a position to live there w/ us for 3 years. So your info has been really interesting. :)
Your photos are great! Love the one of DD in the rain!!
Thought I'd share as far as scrapbooking... digital can be fun to play around with. I use photoshop elements and it is not too difficult. I found you and your friend the gershwins through a messageboard friend at ScrapGirls (.com). They have a great web site you may want to check out. Even a free started book to download and even a free kit to download. I have been there for 1.5 years now and it is a lot of fun. (No I don't make any money through them.) Just thought it might be fun for you in the way of hobbies :)
Take care,
Nicole J

Anonymous said...

hey kiddo .... www.digital.photography.school.com is a free group through flickr with weekly assignment type stuff as well as loads of other threads for other interest and question/answers with great moderators who know photography as well as the memebers who come from all walks of life and varying levels of photography .... beginners to should be could be pro .... check them out also if you go to my page you can see some of my stuff online and a link to my flickr page which has everything I post and 1/10 of what I shoot :D ... just shot 980 photos at the festival last weeks of lights and motion and car and bike show :D .... wlready won awards on the light/motion ones :D

John