Sunday, January 21, 2007

My wife . . . Queen of Crossing Cultures


For many years I have known that if I had to be stuck on a deserted island with any person in the world I would want that person to be my lovely wife. It has now been overwhelmingly affirmed that this would be the correct and only logical choice. Apart from other, obvious reasons I now know that my wife has inherent survival skills that match those of Tarzan, MacGyver and thousands of baby sea turtles. First let me say that China is not exactly the African bush and we are not living on twigs and grubs. We are thrilled to have reasonable access to a number of foods and goodies imported from the West, East, North and South. However, as is to be expected any time you cross cultures, there are certain tastes that we often took for granted at home, which are now less accesible if not impossible to find . . .

Enter LaWanda. We have enjoyed a plethora (10 points for a good word) of treats that are just not found in our part of the country thanks to the incredible resourcefulness and ingenuity of my wife. For example, Mexican food . . . my wife made her own tortillas, fried them and made chips to dip in her homeade salsa and then . . . (this is the kicker) . . . made her own sour cream! I didn't even know you could make sour cream but she did and it was good. Her other conquests include curing her own ham, potroast, cinnamon rolls (the ooey gooey kind), banana bread and King Ranch chicken. I've seen her menu for the next month and let's just say I'm looking forward homemade bubble gum and dehydrated astronaut food.

Although you really have to zoom out for China to be considered and island AND it is the polar opposite of deserted AND we're not exactly stuck here, still, since there is one person I get to go through this with . . . I'm really glad it's my wife!

Potato skins smothered in cheese with bacon, homemade salsa and sour cream.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LaWanda, I got to see that date book you made...you are amazing and it's wonderful. You are a great writer and so creative.

Liberty Hill Friends said...

Jerry, LaWanda & Rachel,
We so enjoy getting and posting all of your emails and pictures that you send. I am amazed everytime that I read your comments about your cultural difficulties and triumphs! You all will continue to be in our thoughts as we enter into 2007.
Much Love from Dexter, MO.

Anonymous said...

Jerry and La,
Reading your updates and blog make me feel like I'm sitting in your living room in d-town all over again. I'm so glad that personalities still shine over thousands of miles and onto my computer screen! I love you guys :)

Shan and Jason said...

My eyes well with tears each and every time I read your updates and blogs. China is so "lucky" to have you. We miss you more than words can so, but are so glad to see Dad's plans finally coming to fruition (10 points for my word, too, Jer) and know this is only the beginning. See you on Skype! Love you much!

Across the Miles Photography said...

Are you sure you're not married to Martha Stewart?

Anonymous said...

LOL Penn Family said...
Are you sure you're not married to Martha Stewart?

Much as I LOVE my sister... I also remember the days of who got stuck cleaning the bedroom! Glad you overcame that particular obstacle. You would never know by looking at us now, how very reversed the roles were then. :-)

hehe