Saturday, January 27, 2007

Are you kidding me?!?

I was thirteen years old the last time I did the Superbowl shuffle. Jim McMahon, Walter Payton and Refrigerator Perry were icons of my childhood. It was one of the highlights of my early teen years and it was the season that firmed up my fandome. If you lived in central Illinois at that time you didn't dare pledge allegiance to any other team. I have never been a fairweather fan. I am a firm believer in once a fan always a fan but that was the point in my life when who I would cheer for was still being formed and the 85 Bears made it clean and clear. I would be a Bears fan. What an amazing year!

And since then they haven't won a single game! Ok . . . that's a little harsh and not very true but still . . . TWENTY-ONE YEARS I have waited for the Bears give me something, anything to take me back to January 26, 1986 and year after year after year . . . nothing. AND NOW . . . the year I leave the country . . . are you kidding me?!?

So think of me while you're sitting in front of your enormous, flat screen television licking cheese dip and dorito powder off of your fingers. It will be 7:00 am here and I'll check the final score at lunch. Go Bears! and then Go Cubs! (why not?)

7 comments:

Across the Miles Photography said...

It figures, huh? Tyler & I will be cheering on the bears and will cheer extra hard in your place! :)

Hope all is going well with you!

Kimberly Geswein said...

hey! your friend kellie penn referred me to you-- i'd love to chit chat with you because i think we are working for the same company next year. i'm not 100% sure, but regardless, we'd love to chat!

please email me at gesweinfamily AT gmail DOT com and we can chat!

kimberly :)

Matt W said...

Why not the Cubs? I'll tell you why not, because they're in the same division and league as the World Champion Cards!!

Hahah, but I'm still rooting for the Bears next week. It's too bad I'm not in Illinois to experience the real madness!

We miss you and love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know I am keeping up with the joneses. I doubt if you would remember me.Dean

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me? I left the country for nearly FOUR YEARS and the Cubs never made it to the world series, and you leave for one year, and your BEARS make it to the big dance? you must really be loved!

While, I did cheer for the Bears in that Super Bowl, because who would cheer for new england in those days, and I did love "sweetness" walter peyton...I never really became a true Bears fan. However, I did live in Indiana for four years when a guy named Peyton came to play and so I did become a Colts fan. So I will be cheering for the other side. I will say though, that I like both teams and will not be disappointed no matter what the outcome.

The Cubs, me thinks, will crush the crusty old cards this year! However, I wouldn't bet a nickle on it!

I will raise my glass to you and yours during the halftime show while "Prince" wails on his guitar. Can it get any better than Prince, another product of the sweet 80's???

squeeze the fam for me and my fam! Your family pic is on our frig.

Unknown said...

Hey, I feel your pain, sort of...I had tickets to game 5 of the world series between the Cards and BoSox, a game which never happened, so I was totally crushed and depressed, and then I leave the country and the Cards win the W.S. I know, it's not the same as waiting 21 years, and it's baseball, but I think I can relate.

Oh, and as for the 2007 MLB season? Go CARDS!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and that was Jason in the last post, by the way. Apparently it says I'm Karyn now, but we are still two distinct people.